Elderberry juice has a long history of healing and properties to help fight off infections, especially in cold and flu season, but it is also super expensive. This “magic potion” as I call it in my house (because Harry Potter is life!) is made from pure ingredients with no added preservatives or shelf stabilizing agents and is vegan! You can get dried elderberries online and one very important ingredient is the local raw honey. You want to make sure you are getting local honey to help build immunity against local allergens. This recipe take a while to make but oh so worth it!
*Please note elderberry syrup does not replace medical care. If you are sick please seek medical attention and speak with your doctor about taking herbal supplements.
- 3 1/2 cups of water
- 2/3 cup of Dried Elderberries
- 1 tbs of fresh ginger paste
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 3 tbs of lemon juice
- 1 cup of raw local honey
- In a large dutch oven put elderberries, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and lemon juice and bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to low and simmer for about 1 hour until it is reduced by half.
- Take dutch oven off of the heat and let cool until it is safe to touch.
- Strain entire liquid through a tight wire strainer into another pot.
- Using a pestle or large spoon, mash all remaining juice out of the berries in the strainer into the pot with the syrup.
- Discard berries.
- Add 1 cup of local raw honey to syrup and mix well.
- Store syrup in mason jars in the fridge for up to 3 months.
BY: VIRGINIA OLIVIERI
For more delicious recipes follow @SimplyFabFoods on Instagram